Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

Being A SAHM



Laying by the pool sipping a margarita, reading books in front of an open window, spending the day at the spa or hair salon with the girls- this is what TV may have you believing is what being a stay at home mom is like, but I am here to tell you that is not the case. In fact, this isn't even a close representation of what my life has become since choosing to live as a stay at home mother. I thought life in the busy, high-volume retail world was exhausting, but boy was I ever wrong! Working would feel like a vacation now.

Since becoming a stay at home mother, my life has been one crazy moment after another. I haven't seen a pool in over a year, I couldn't tell you the last time I picked up a book, and getting my hair done took roughly a year to schedule because I had to balance everyone else's schedules first. I no longer get to show off my prized collection of expensive, designer heels. I live in sneakers or slip-ons. My clothes went from designers and high fashion to tee shirts and yoga pants - all of which are covered in either poop, puke, pee, or some household cleaner.

I used to long for a day off where I would be able to relax in bed until 8:00 am, get up slowly, and veg out in front of the TV with a hot, steaming cup of coffee. If I make it until 6:30 am now, I get excited. It usually takes me several hours to finish one cup of coffee, which by that time, is ice cold. My day is filled with phrases I never thought would become part of my standard speech. Phrases such as, "Don't choke your sister.", "Why are you naked?", "The toilet is NOT a toy car wash!".

My life went from being able to clean up the house in the evenings - or for a few hours on my days off - to barely being able to keep up with it. It's unbelievable how much damage children can do to a house when they have more time at home. I feel like I have a broom permanently glued to my hand. After bed time, I find myself picking up mass quantities of toys from every inch of every room in the house. If I'm lucky, I manage to find enough time to shower about once every three days. And peeing? Well, that's now a luxury - especially if I want to do it alone. I find toys in my bed, I am constantly stepping on Legos, and I can't figure out how mud managed to get in some of the places that I find it these days. My $300-$500 designer handbag has now turned into a $50 diaper bag filled with spit rags, balled-up dirty diapers, and toys.




Since leaving my full-time career to become a full-time mom, my days have gotten even crazier. They start at 6:00 am and end around midnight - if I'm lucky. My body aches from not sitting all day, I'm dropping weight due to not having a legally scheduled lunch break, and the level of exhaustion that I hit on a daily basis makes a 12 hour work day feel like a walk in the park. I'm always covered in stains, I can't figure out what that smell is half the time, and I haven't seen a tube of lipstick since handing in my store keys. But, you know what? I wouldn't trade all the jobs in the world for being a stay at home mom. It is by far the most fulfilling albeit exhausting job I've ever had the pleasure of doing - even if it is only paid in hugs.

3 comments:

  1. I cant tell if this makes me look forward to being a stay at home parent more or less ;)

    Looking forward to catching up on more of your blog, Looks like a lot of great reading. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, it's worth it. Just don't expect to be able to do a crazy amount of "stepford wife" activities like I thought I would be able to! Eventually, you'll get a routine down and be able to get more accomplished during the days, but it's definitely no walk in the park! :)

      In fairness, my third child is now 8 months old and our vintage farmhouse was not made for having babies in it... Too many sets of stairs! She's almost walking now, so I'm slowly becoming more productive.

      Thanks for reading, I always appreciate New followers and commenters! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete