Pages

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

How to trim your goat's hooves



I've had some questions lately regarding keeping goats and since it was time to trim Edmund and Eli's hooves this weekend anyway, I thought I would jot down the process for those who are considering goats. I am by no means an "expert" but I can tell you what works for me and what I had learned when researching it before doing it myself for the first time.

One thing I found helpful was to play with the goats feet at least once a week from the day they came home. Most animals do not like having their feet messed with - this goes for dogs, cats, horses, etc. - so I knew that I would need to start the process well in advance in order to make it easier on all of us. I would usually just grab their feet while they were sitting next to me and just spread their little hooves apart or pick up their back legs while they were standing. They still do not enjoy it, but at least it would not be a shock when I went to do it later on.

They say goats hooves should be trimmed every three months to avoid overgrowth and the goat being uncomfortable. I find that if I do it the same week the farrier visits, it's an easier way to remember and is close enough to the timeline required- allowing me to keep up on it. You can choose the schedule that works best for you, of course.

In order to trim your goat's hooves, you will need either a pair of hoof trimmers or a pair of garden shears. I picked up a pair of goat hoof trimmers on eBay for under $10 and they work great. You can always pick them up from places like Rural King, Tractor Supply, or your local feed store.




Most articles I read when I began my research stated that you should use a stanchion to restrain the goat during the trimming process. I do not have one since I haven't purchased my dairy goats yet, so I had my husband hold them tightly against them. We only have minis, so it's not difficult for him. You want to make sure that you can safely restrain your goat while you are doing this so as to avoid any unnecessary bleeding.

Once you have your goat firmly restrained, grab hold of the first foot. Give them time to adjust- they won't like being on three legs, so wait for the kicking and struggling to end before making the first cut. Once the goat has resigned, go ahead and begin trimming the side wall of the hoof. If you see the hoof begin to turn even the slightest shade of pink, you are getting close to the quick. Keep a blood stop powder nearby if you fear cutting too closely. As long as you take slow, small cuts- you should be fine. Just make sure that you create a flat, even walking surface for the goat. 


Before


It will seem like it takes forever the first time you give it a go, but I promise it gets quicker the more you do it. Both you and the goat will get used to the process and it will smooth out for you both. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to send me a message either through here or our Facebook page! 


After

(This was actually taken the day after the trimming. Usually the edges will show white immediately after a trimming, but I had to catch my goat the next day due to him no longer wanting to cooperate with me once trimmed. His hooves are all dirty again in this picture.) 

4 comments:

  1. Great information! Can't wait to get my own goats someday, thanks for sharing this on the Homestead Blog Hop and I hope to see you there again this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely will be there! Thanks for checking my page out! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks! We need to start trimming our goats' hooves soon.

    ReplyDelete