Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

How it all began...

I suppose I should christen this blog with a good old fashioned 'Once upon a time' story - the story of how I got to be here, typing this blog. In order to do that, we need to step back a bit.

I am from England originally - the product of an American Military daddy and a British Nurse. Cliche, I know. It's gets better. I'm a typical Brit. I love my tea, I'm obsessed with Doctor Who, and I still use the typical British slang words. As if that wasn't enough, my husband is German. When I say German, I mean German-German. He's built like a typical German - like a house. He's only been in the US for 5 years and English is NOT his first (or best) language, but he manages pretty well. He has several degrees in finance and business and absolutely NO farming experience. Our three children however, are all born State-side. We are all in love with the same shows - Doctor Who, The Big Bang Theory, etc. Yes, we are geeks.

Up until last year, I was a full time working Mom. I had worked my butt off in my job and managed to become a Store Manager in one of the busiest malls in the State of Florida. I was working over an hour and a half away from our rental home. I was always exhausted and never managed to make it to much of the children's after school activities. It was around this time that my husband and I had decided to start searching for a house to purchase - one we could call our own.

After months and months of searching the area for a home large enough for three children and our two large dogs, we were burned out. Nothing seemed good enough. It was all either too small or too rundown. It was crazy. Just as we were about to give up, I stumbled upon a listing online. It seemed too good to be true. It was a bit further out than we had originally been looking, but as soon as I walked into the door I knew this was the one. It was beautiful. A typical European style, two story farm house settled on a 10.8 acre tract. Natural wood floors, wood cabinets, lots of large windows and over double the size of the rental we had been living in. I fell in love instantly. The property was nestled in the side of a large preserve and had no visible neighbors. It was in the backwoods! The road was a skinny little dirt path with no street signs and was completely hidden from view from the world.



It's been a year since we unpacked and moved into our dream house and things have gotten crazier - yet simpler - all at the same time.  I now telecommute for work, we have (on occasion) up to 65 animals, and we are trying our hand at breeding silkie chickens and Flemish Giant Rabbits. I went from Career Mom to Stay-At-Home Farming Momma all in the span of one year. I now balance caring for our large amount of animals, caring for our two older children (6 and 9) and our 6 month old baby, and trying to keep a handle on our large-but-lovely farm house. After starting a website and a Facebook for our farm, I decided to try my hand at blogging. I spend a fair bit of time browsing through other Stay-At-Home Mom's blogs and thought I had a little color that could be added with all the craziness of running a small, family farm as well as raising three children! Between bunnies escaping, goats getting stuck in the fence, and a donkey that is spooked by LITERALLY EVERYTHING, there is plenty for you to have a good giggle at around here!

I do hope you enjoy. Feel free to leave a comment, ask a question, or just leave some love. Don't forget to check out our website: Dartmouth Farm & Pastures. From there you can link to our Facebook page and our Instagram! Hope to see you again soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment