Pages

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Women In The Agriculture World



As I've been trying to get this blog off the ground and going, I've had the chance to meet a lot of women in the farming world that I wouldn't have been able to meet in any other way. All I can say is that I feel more fortunate for having the chance to speak to these incredible women. Women in the agriculture world are an entire different breed of the female species. They're strong, independent, resilient, and compassionate. Most of all, they're women on a mission. Women that are out to change the world's opinion of the World Of Agriculture.

Some of these wonderful women are working farmers. Some are hobby farmers or homesteaders. Some, like me, are just getting started and trying to find their way in the realm of farming. But there's one thing that every one of these women have in common and that's heart. These women are the most compassionate and caring women I have ever had the pleasure to meet. Every one of them loves the life they live and want nothing more in the world than to share it with others. The drive that these women have to share their knowledge and resources far surpasses that of anyone else I've come in contact with.

These women volunteer their time, efforts, and knowledge to try to educate the world on the discrepancies of agriculture information that seems to keep making it's way into the public eye. They put their free time on hold to ensure that your family has food on the table, milk in the fridge, and an understanding of the truth of how your food is grown.



Every woman has a mothering gene, but farming women have it on a level that goes above and beyond that of the average woman. These are women that not only raise children, but raise calves, colts, lambs, and piglets. These are women that are up all night helping a down cow to feed, or stop several times a day to hold a sick chicken's head up so that it can drink, all while nurturing their own children.

If you ever have any questions about where your food comes from, how it's grown or harvested, or how dairy farming really is behind the scenes, ask one of these women - not one of these TV doctors that has never even set foot on a farm or out in a field. These women would be eager to stop what they are doing and give you all the information you want to know. They have been nothing but eager to help me get going and answer any questions I have as I learn my way around this lifestyle.

The next time you're cooking up a steak, peeling a potato, or pouring a glass of milk, take a moment to think about the family behind that product. Don't be scared to reach out to these women - say hello, ask a question, or just show them some love and appreciation for living the life that they do so that the rest of us can have food on the table.




6 comments:

  1. Such a great article! My husband and I are starting a farm on 10 acres of raw, untamed, land. I hope that I can be one of these women someday!

    PS: Love your farm and your blog! (and your mom is pretty cool too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for keeping up with us! Views are always appreciated! Glad you're enjoying reading this! Our 10.8 acres are pretty much raw. The home had been foreclosed on a empty for at least a year or two before we got it and the previous owners had clearly not taken care of the land! Congratulations on starting the farm - if you run into any questions, please let me know. If I can't answer them, I can reach out to my network of Women AGvocates and get the answer for you.

      Delete